View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 7:57 pm   #181
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

I've always been more keen on the content than the presentation of this program in the past David but it has struck a chord perhaps with the older "make do and mend" generations and the newer "retros". I think most people have a hope but certainly not an expectation that they can get a bit of their life back and it's often genuinely affecting. As a Capricorn, I'm the first to deride the mis-use of US style emotion. It's available in "buckets" on the programs you don't watch where it is nearly always signalled well in advance and almost built in to the structure!

I was a very positive about Albert's story [in p119*] though, because I thought the overall technical and personal side was very much in balance. His daughter was very supportive and everyone involved seemed affected. It really didn't feel at all exploitative or inappropriate [p131] and I suspect that being able to express how he felt more publicly was a positive experience overall, in addition to getting the set back in working order! Not doing "too good a job" on the case was really quite thoughtful. Of course the amount of upset shown was down to the editing [as I said at p128] not the crew. I'm sure they could have put much more in ....but they didn't!

We will have the Dunkirk story on Monday as a comparator to judge by perhaps!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Apr 2019 at 8:26 pm.