View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 8:40 am   #5
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: Fun with Z80 Assembler

I had some Z80 fun on a friends Sinclair - cant remember now if it was a ZX81 or a Spectrum (but what I do remember was it had seemingly very peculiar screen memory layout).

Quote:
(6502)Most programming in assembler required knowledge of what was free in page 0 - different for each machine.
When writing assembler in any environment you need to know what memory is free, though true it was more important when dealing with the 6502's 128 16-bit registers

I think Tony may have hit on why I found the Z80 frustrating at the time (as I couldn't remember the details):

Quote:
Anyway, as for the Z80, one thing I hated about it was the indexed addressing modes. To me it was plain 'wrong' for the 8 bit 'offset' to be fixed (one of the instruction bytes) and the 16 bit 'base' to be in a register.
For plotting things like sprites, I needed to index through a pixel mask table, the actual pixel table and arrange a plot offset (maybe with offset lookup from another table), that's three or four different indexes being managed at the same time. All hail the 6502

Of course that is a single specific use case. The Z80 was significantly quicker when I tried calculating Pi to an "unbelievable" several hundred decimal places !

TTFN,
Jon