View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2021, 10:03 pm   #11
Peterdee
Triode

Default Re: Trio 9R-59D restoration

Hi David and Des
Guess what? I came into the shack tonight, switched on the Trio, and bingo! It's working again. Perhaps it just need a little rest?? Hard to tell how well it is working as the bands are pretty dead at the moment, but was able to receive ssb/cw where it was available. I guess it may have just been a bad contact on the switch, as you say they are a bit problematic. Anyway, the next job I want to do is change the two 9v lamps for led's. I see the supply to these is 6.3v ac 3A, same as the filaments. For led's I think I need about 3v DC and mA's. A dropping R in line would sort out the voltage, but how do I get DC instead of AC? Also there is space for another cct for a marker, which would be useful, as the tuning dial is not very accurate. I used my ft991a as a marker transmitting cw into a dummy load.
I guess I could get the info on the internet, but I thought I would sound you out first!!
Then there are a few mods to try, but that will be later.
I must say it's the first time I have done anything like this. I have built a few qrp cw transmitters, with transistors, and a couple of valve ones, but they are other peoples designs, I am not a radio engineer, but I found this more enjoyable.
The GQRPC are having a QRP valve weekend this weekend, so I hope to use the Trio for that.
Anyway, enough of my prattle, look forward to your comments.
Peter