Thread: Hmv 1125
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2020, 8:55 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Hmv 1125

These are a great radio - well I would say that because I've got one. They're not the nicest in the 'looks' department (in my opinion), but they are an excellent performer - well, when there were still worthwhile stations to receive on AM, that is! It was, I think, my first ever 'proper' valve radio, given to me by my grandmother when I was a young kid in the early 60s. She's had it from new and when it went wrong she rented another from Radio Rentals rather buy a replacement, so she gave me this set to 'play around with'. I remember sitting on the floor of her Walthamstow flat with it plugged in and the back swung open, while my parents and her were chatting about whatever. I was tapping around the innards with the handle of a screwdriver when it suddenly burst into life - everyone was amazed! Unfortunately this didn't last long, as when it was switched off and allowed to cool down and then switched back on, it didn't work again. Tapping round again with the screwdriver I found that clonking one of the valves caused it to spring back into life again. After taking the radio home and sending off for a replacement valve, the radio performed without fault ever since - I only replaced the grid coupling capacitor sometime in the last decade and that's the only component other than that valve that's ever been replaced in the entire life of the radio.

Unfortunately, it caught a dose of woodworm while in loft storage a few years ago and had to be treated and the holes filled in, which somewhat spoiled it - HMV plywood with its animal glue is known to be a bit of a magnet for woodworm, so watch yours!

I think that front surround is possibly cream painted brown Bakelite and the paint does flake off making the set look tatty - I've never done anything with this, but did think about removing all the cream paint and polishing up the Bakelite instead. It's now back in storage in the loft, due to the lack of AM stations available to listen to nowadays.

I can't comment on the valve substitution, as I've not compared the differences at this time of writing, but may have a look later if I get time, although someone else will probably chip in with advice...you could even check yourself if you look up the data on both and compare.

Last edited by Techman; 20th Nov 2020 at 9:00 pm.