View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 6:48 pm   #35
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: My new Superheterodyne!

Thanks!
actually if you follow the "saga" beginning to end and all the threads leading up to this point (I knew Nothing of I.F stuff), I wanted to build this all as a Modular system, with one section per function.
the reason being that is that it would allow me to prototype a section and check if it works by hooking it up to my Existing sections.
rather than build it all as One unit and find out later that I need more room or have to alter something serious.
the amp was nothing to consider, the demodulator had to built and tested them commited to that board along with the IF preamp, that way Both Unknown cans were used so that I could test them, I guessed at the order they went in and it turns out I was right 1`st time, Red 1`st and then the Yellow, AND it worked on the RF gen by passing the modulated tone at One frequency only.
I had enough room left on the card to make an amp, so I did.
I would love to have more of that card/board material but don`t know where to get more?
that left the Tuner part, that was the scary bit for me as I knew even Less about them than I.F stages
but after several questions and studying of all the cct diags I could get my hands on, I boiled them all down to a General idea, and then set about employing it using the bits that I had.
after a bit of faffing (I forgot to earth a whole section!) that took all morning, I finally got it working!
and with a plain old 2 pole switch instead of these 4 pole ganged wave changers.

but Now, after my latest hack, I`m likely to be the 1`st guy to own a valve radio with digital frequency readout as well.
anyway, I Like "Weird"