View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2017, 7:55 pm   #10
MrCurvedLimos
Diode

Default Re: Help ID 1932 Pye radio-phono

Ah! Thank you very much for your help everyone! It's very good to find a schematic. I will have to work through it and see how well it matches what I have, but hopefully it will be closer than the AC version. I agree that the AC/S1VM seemed like the odd man out with its 1A heater. I'll have to figure that out.

Yes, it is a Garrard resistive dropper. It has settings for both AC and DC, which you can't see in my photo because it's behind that plug. In the configuration it came in my door, you can see one pin in the 220 hole, and on the back side of the plug, the 2nd pin is in the AC hole. It's obviously designed to get very hot... you can see the holes in the bottom of the cabinet for airflow.

The rectifier is on the very bottom right of the cabinet (looking from the rear), not really very visible in my photo, but I'm attaching another photo that shows it. The component on the lower left of the chassis is a choke. That big grey capacitor box that says "Pye 9 MF" on it is a little worrisome, as it has about 10 wires connected to it; hopefully the schematic will clarify what size caps are potted in it.

The Garrard changer seems very well built. I know almost zero about phonographs, but just playing with the tone arm and stop switch/brake on the top side, they move smoothly and the stop switch makes a definitive click when the lever reaches the ends of its travel. I don't see any pot metal problems from just looking around... those are spider webs in the photo, not cracks.

That tone control is a different issue. The knob and shaft were cast as a single piece of metal that reach down into the control body, and when I tried to turn it, it twisted right off in my fingers. I'll have to see if I can get someone to machine a shaft for me, and then try to replicate a knob for it. Long term project.

Another thing I have to deal with is the wormy wood. The side and front panels all have exit holes from wood boring beetles. No evidence that it's an active infestation (no frass in evidence), but on the side of caution, I'm thinking I should seal the cabinet in a bag and watch it for a year to see if any insects emerge or any new frass shows up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye_Console_07.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	138326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye_Console_08.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	138327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye_Console_09.jpg
Views:	101