View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2019, 7:54 pm   #8
robbo100
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Convert Vintage Valve Radio to Guitar Amp

Hi all,

Thanks for the very fast and detailed replies.

As it turns out, I have just won an ebay bid for a KB LR10, so it looks like that is my weapon of choice, rather than the 416.

Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like this one also already has an isolating transformer fitted, so that one will be safe too. I would be grateful if someone could confirm my reading of the circuit diagram is correct though, so I don't fry myself.

I will probably just make one of these as a simple pre-amp (powered by a 9V battery). I have made them before and they work really well. That way I will be able to have some gain control going into the valve power amp stage. Amusingly opposite to most modern amps which have a valve pre-amp and SS power amp, this will have a SS pre-amp and Valve power amp

I have no idea if this amp is working or not, but I will fit a 3 core cable, earthed to the chassis (assuming you guys confirm it has an isolating power supply), before I turn it on for the first time.

Reading some of the other posts, I suspect that replacing some of the caps would be very wise before even switching it on for the first time.

Does all this make sense??

Thanks again

Last edited by AC/HL; 12th Aug 2019 at 8:02 pm. Reason: Rule B8