View Single Post
Old 17th May 2021, 12:25 pm   #13
snowman_al
Octode

Default Re: Bush BAC31 mains unit

Hi Spencer,
First I'm pleased you have the Bush going.

Then, if you read the Trader sheet it says, ''the voltages were taken using 'new batteries'. Those taken using the mains unit were 10% lower.''
Don't forget the batteries only delivered their nominal output for a short while, slowly becoming less and less as they were consumed. So the set is able to operate on a quite wide range of voltages.

The statement on the sheet 'Cathode voltage 106V' makes no sense, I would assume it is an error or part of an incomplete measurement / statement.

As has been mentioned, you really want to run the filaments at as low a voltage as possible that give reasonable results. I think about 6 volts would be ideal (5 x 1.2 volts). Over running them shortens the life of the valves especially the DK92 frequency changer.

One other thing, you say you reformed the electrolytic caps, but did you check them for actual capacity? If the value has dropped substantially then the HT voltage will measure lower than you might expect. If you have a 10uF or 22uF cap of 200 volts or more in your spares, you could clip it across C27 and see if the HT voltage increases.

I too would reset the selector to 240 volts.

Alan

Last edited by snowman_al; 17th May 2021 at 12:40 pm. Reason: Don't forget...