View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2021, 12:27 pm   #26
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Philips N1500 - can it be tricked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Archiver View Post
Owen, there are plastic gears associated with the tape loading system (plus the cord and pulley), all of these to the right of the head drum. If that’s what you mean, 3D-printed replacements (plus belt kits) are available from a Dutch supplier on a well known auction site. It was NOS gear parts I used which are doing their job well, so far.

If your restoration does not go forward, please let me know if the machine becomes available.

Philip
Thanks for reply with useful info - I've just found your post from 2016 about the supplier in Holland

I had wondered about trying to 3D print something, if it couldn't easily be machined. I've just taken a look again at it, and it seems I took out this 'Toothed wheel' gear (Chassis Part No. 193 in Service Manual, part no. 4822-505-10029) I'm sure was metal, but have temporarily misplaced.
It fits at the top of the shaft from the Threading In/Out motor, with a grub-screw to retain it - just above the threading cord pulley - drive a couple of plastic gears / cam to activate 2 'mode' switches.

It would be nice to get it going one day, as also have tapes - Especially as back in 2007 someone was trying to sell one at £400 that said it was working but just needed replacement belts (which led you to wonder how they tested it / if belts had been available (N1700 NOS 4 belt set were being sold for £50, but not sure if any of these were same as the 3 in the N1500).

I was also given a couple of N1700's, after the owner bought another online to copy his old tapes as I think the heads had worn on these - And replacements were NLA / v.expensive when they were.
But these may have had Television magazine mods for longer tape time.

Last edited by ortek_service; 24th Feb 2021 at 12:36 pm.