View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2018, 7:05 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default "Bush" Tombstone Pastiche

My somewhat tongue in cheek tale is perhaps justified by the fact that it was purchased at the last BVWS auction, at the minimum hammer price; one of the offerings that Mike couldn't knock down fast enough as soon as anyone showed the slightest interest!

Anyway, as I said in the auction thread, it doesn't look that bad from a distance and even has traces of real wood in the cabinet hiding behind the ply, MDF and hardboard. Its worst failing was the quite frankly awful sound it made with its (damaged as it turned out) tiny tinny tranny speaker, plus a slightly higher than desirable 100Hz buzz.

The speaker handily turned out to be 8 ohm and I found in my stash an old Volvo dual concentric car door speaker of 8 ohms. Promising. The new speaker would just fit between the top of the case and the circuit board of the radio, but needed a suitably cut piece of surplus laminate flooring (MDF?) to thicken up the hardboard original baffle so that the top edge of the new speaker cleared the wooden corner reinforcing at the top of the cabinet.

Duly installed, the sound was now much more acceptable- at any rate about as good as the real deal with a 6" speaker in a wooden box. The 100Hz was rather more intrusive, not surprisingly and this was knocked down to a reasonable level by tripling the 2200uF smoothing capacitor on the unregulated mains PSU. A proper regulated supply would improve it, but I reckoned I'd polished the t**d for long enough.

Overall performance is acceptable enough on LW/MW/VHF now for it to be used in the workshop for background noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	158323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker rear.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	158324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker front.jpg
Views:	226