View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 9:14 am   #16
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Philips Compact Cassette Recorder Models

I have fond memories of an N2202 we had in the family many years ago. It was the first recorder that I actually made recordings on. When the family advanced to a stereo machine I took over the N2202. It felt more upmarket than the EL3302 with its push button operated eject and metal-over-plastic paneling.

I remember doing all sorts of tricks with it, like not pushing the operating lever all the way in so that the pinch roller didn't make contact with the capstan, for playing tapes at high (albeit uneven) speed (oddly, it felt like there was some form of detent in the mechanism so that it could remain in this position by itself fairly reliably), or slipping a strip of paper in front of the erase head before closing the cassette holder in order to prevent erasure and thus allowing a new recording to co-exist with an already existing recording on the tape.

After the N2202 I upgraded to reel to reel. Can't remember now what actually happened to the machine. I think the bias oscillator failed and at the time I didn't manage to repair it so it might have been taken to bits.