View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2009, 11:28 am   #6
stonehopper
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts RT7 - problem

Thanks for the replies.
I will have to take your word for the good news Steve, as I wouldn't know what an AF11x problem is!
I have downloaded the service sheet (pity about the crease across the page - it's mentioned in despatches) and located the various components.

With the little PP9 9v battery connected (the 'connectors' are missing, just two bare wires - an indication of past salvage probably) the speaker 'pops' as mentioned. As the transformer T2 warms (T1 does not) so too does the battery. After a couple of minutes being attached and on, the battery voltage reads 8.54v and is as warm to the touch as the T2. As I did not check its voltage before attaching (new battery) it's not possible accurately to say if its shorting or not, but leads me to think it may be - though I'm a novice to radio!

Steve, it's probably common knowledge to most, but how do I get a 'signal' out from a separate appliance - would it be from an output socket such as to headphones? Will I need to find a suitable donor ear phones and strip the wires (which one will be earth?) to make a connection to earth and the centre pin of the R23 - do you mean the centre pin from the front after removing the plastic knob?

When checking transistors, capacitors and resistances, must they be removed from the chassis first? I have a digital multi-meter, and see values on the service sheets, but first will clean up the wave length switches and report.

Darren (or Steve) - how can I check the polarity? Will it have toasted everything if wrong?

Cheers - Derek