View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 10:54 pm   #99
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Reel to reel revival

To make any predictions about a (probably impossible) revival, we need to understand not the machines so much, but the people. What sort of people would want them and why? What would they do with them? What pleasure would they derive that would justify the cost and effort?

The surge of interest in record players seems much more logical. They were ubiquitous for decades - if you wanted to listen to recorded music 97% of the time that meant playing a record. Passable results were and still are obtainable with simple, cheap machines, while the format ran the gamut from those up to the very best of HiFi with full interchangeability. Known, understood and fondly remembered worldwide, if you wanted to rekindle an interest in a physical audio format, vinyl is a no-brainer.

Tape, meh. Untidy, complicated, incompatible. I would imagine that most people looking for the 'tape sound' have an unrealistic impression of what that meant. They see a 2-valver with a BSR deck and imagine it's a small version of a BTR3 and expect it to bring a little bit of Abbey Road into their living room.

Never mind the fun I had a few weeks back, firing up an EL3541 in the workshop and putting on Flanders & Swan's 'At the drop of a hat' including the 'Song of Reproduction' for the amusement of the crew. I think it falls to us to popularise the notion that tape is not a patch on vinyl, quality-wise, to encourage hapless punters to leave it well alone. If they want to record, perhaps Crosley could bring out an R/P with optional cutter head?