View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2019, 10:18 am   #12
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: When an interest in valves becomes out of control without realising!

Rob,
Didn't realise that my sale advert had prompted you to examine your valve interests & stock.
In the past I've occasionally delved into my collection & flogged a handful on the Forum or ebay. But more recently I've also started a thinning out of surplus shelf occupying equipment. So then I thought - all I really need, valve-wise, are enough to hold as spares for the items I'm keeping or possible future project acquisitions. Plus a few interesting valves which lend themselves to DC testing/graphing etc., and a few standardised ones, (I've still some of those 6AQ5's/6AU5's going free).
But lo & behold - in the last 6 weeks or so, folk knowing of my valve collecting/testing exploits - have handed over huge boxes full of loose manky valves. Most from "Silent Key" clear-outs. The sad aspect of this reminds me of my "Sad Times" thread back at the beginning of the year. In a way thankfully, many of the valves(some like - KT88's, QQV06-40's, even a PX4) were totally duff or weak"Pulls" which some poor old chap had kept loose instead of dumping them over the last 60 years. Jesus ! - my poor old AVO MK3 needs a long rest. And you should have seen the look on the face of the mannie at the council's skip-site last week !
Talking to other folk, these old hoards, are becoming more frequent in recent times. So perhaps those of us who are past 3 score years & ten should take note before we too become octogenarians.

Regards, David