Old 22nd Jul 2021, 10:38 pm   #9
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Shared Service (Party Line) emulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198 kHz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post

On receiving a call (with ringing on ones appropriate ringer), I seem to recall that one simply had to lift the handset to be connected to the caller.
The psychic dog is no doubt an early urban myth, but..
When investigating ringing problems, many a subscriber, on being advised to pour water on the earth spike, thought the engineer was having a laugh and trying to wind them up.
I would not laugh at the dog, theory. Way back in the 70 I used to see a few reports of "miracle" cures of this sort in certain Sunday papers. Up north (in the highlands) bad earth and earth leakage ) were things we encountered daily. Water on earth spikes- we were taught about this as apprentices. bell tinkle- common cause was maims leakage. I've actually measured circa 150vAC across persons rear gate. I've fitted an external plan 10x (5/7) in a scrap yard and had to bury an old car radiator deep in the slate,( to pick up the watercourse)and drive an earth spike through it to get a decent earth.
One thing that was hard to impart to UG staff when exchanges became Auto and ringback was available was that it didn't work on SS . A successful test needed an operator to ring the two numbers and ensure that the correct number rang as the equipment only rang back the number that applied the earth. All part and parcel of being a mixed Subs app installer/Mtxe man( or boy).