View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2017, 6:35 pm   #1
andyjpb
Diode

Default Tektronix 2465 smoke

Hi,

I have a Tek2465 that I bought second hand a few years ago. It's been great!

When I was using it this afternoon I heard a bit of crackling and then, a few seconds later, some black/grey smoke came out of one of the vents at the bottom of the 'scope. The 'scope appeared to be still working but when I saw the smoke I switched it off as quickly as possible.

I left it for a while and then took it apart to see if I could work out what had failed. I couldn't!

I took the 'scope out of the blue chassis. The mainboard at the bottom and the logic board at the side both looked clean and nice. Next, I opened the panel at the top. Underneath were the PSU and the CRT. I didn't take the PSU out but, from what I could see of it, it too looked clean and nice. However, on top of the CRT is a red wire that connects to a large, white, plastic thing and then disappears inside the CRT. This wire and the plastic connector thing were covered in black dust/soot. I (carefully) removed the panel on the side with the -2KV warning and that looked mostly OK but it was quite black and dirty where the previously mentioned red wire entered at the back. The big red thing was clean and nice.

I reassembled the 'scope and plugged it in for a quick test. It booted up fine, appears to work and passed all the diagnostic tests when I ran them.

However, I'm now loathe to use it without working out what's gone wrong and what the implications are of not replacing whichever component has failed.

Can anyone here advise what I should do or if there's anyone in the London area that I can take this too?

Thanks for your help!
@ndy