View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2017, 12:01 pm   #13
Specmaster
Triode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign II (RP25) tuning extended to 104 Mhz?

Wow, what a lot of very useful info, you guys are great. Actually I have discovered that I need to try and get it tuned into 107.75 as well for Radio Essex so I'll be experimenting later when I get a few minutes.

I know I have said this before, but I really love the attention to detail in the build of these Hackers, they really do seem to be built with servicing in mind with easy chassis removal, long enough wiring looms to allow the set to operated while working on it as well. It really is a far cry from the standards employed in the Diplomat, even down to having the wavechange buttons being operated directly rather than through silly cranked pieces of plastic that break and it seems impossible to get replacements for.

Why oh why do makers love mounting all sockets on the top of the radio where over the years they get full of dust and fluff and then fail? Seems almost impossible to get matching replacements these days as well.

The speaker fitted to this particular radio is the Celestion which is embossed on the speaker connection board and I have no visible bolts on the magnet assembly so I guess it is one of the later versions. Perhaps it has had a replacement fitted at some point in its life?

I purchased a service manual for this from The Military Wireless Workshop, extracted from a copy of Radio Servicing, pages 526 to 540, which while good, is still not a match for a genuine copy of the original manual as produced by Hackers I doubt.