View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2004, 9:00 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Component restoration - how do YOU do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave
Hi Mike,
I think most of the resistors in your radio are quite simular in size to modern 1w resistors. I wonder if, simply, painting modern resistors with the old style markings using heat proof paint would create a satisfactory result?
That may be the route I will take, David. For now, what I will try is to encapsulate a modern resistor in ceramic casting material, paint it, and leave it connected to my power supply for a week or so, running it at, say, twice the dissipation it will have in use, and if the coating survives, good!
Quote:
As for capacitors I have often thaught about cutting open an old cap, scanning it into Photoshop, touching it up and then elongating one end so it could be wrapped around a pencil, or something, to produce a cover for modern caps

HTH

David
Most of the cap legends would be fairly easy to reproduce from scratch, and print on paper of the appropriate colour, and then rolled up into tubes as per your idea. Most of the waxies are 'Wego' with red and black labels on the tube.
Some years ago I recapped a TV22 using 'Gumstrip' for tubes!
The silver micas I may try potting in resin with a mould taken from one of the originals.

Alan
I like your idea of keeping originals in a bag - this is fairly standard practice with antique clocks. Sadly, a non-functioning radio, however rare, is no use at all to me - I would either fix it or sell it If I fixed it, I would reproduce any components accurately - if I could not do this to an acceptable standard, it would have to go!