View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 9:58 am   #12
paulsherwin

Default Re: Unknown (possibly general electric company?) 2 pin 15 amp plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Probably a BS73 plug and socket (1919 for 15A).

BS73 lasted a long time - my parental home was wired to BS73 despite being built as late as 1934. BS546 was well established by then so my grandad who had the house built must have specified BS73 because it was a bit cheaper. It resulted in some hair raising practices in my childhood, like running electric kettles and washing machines without an earth. The house was finally rewired to BS1363 in the mid 60s.
Did it go directly from BS73 to BS1363 without involving BS564?
That must be rare.
It's even odder than that. The house was a semi, and the pair were built by my grandad. Next door was lived in by my great aunt. While 'our' house was wired to BS73, hers used BS546. I've no idea why this should be, as I imagine both houses were wired by the same electricians. Both houses were rewired to BS1363 in the mid 60s as was standard practice for 1930s houses.

BS73 went through revisions and renumberings but ceased to exist as a general standard around 1970. It lives on as the UK shaver plug (BS5473) found on things like electric toothbrush chargers, which is basically a BS73 5A plug with sleeved pins.