View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2019, 6:08 pm   #9
avocollector
Heptode

Default Re: H Gee - Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
. . .
Back in the 1970s, high interest rates meant that our 'bean counters' were keen to realise (and be seen to realise) every possible scrap of cash from redundant stock. That was after I had assured them that those old passive components were really impossible to design into the new generation of IC-based technolgy. So that prompted a massive drive by Production Control to clear out every possible redundant and potentially redundant component from the stores. Who was it sold to? Gees of course!

However, such was our 'silo-style' management that no account had then been taken of the component needs of other departments such as after-sales service, customised additions to existing products etc. As a result, our after-sales manager would from time to time take a trip down Mill Road to ferret around in Mrs Gee's stock to find those essential components crucial to completing a contract, and buy back what we'd just sold to her a few weeks previously. Gees had become an 'archive store' for the company.

I'm sure that this story was repeated in many electronics companies and is still continuing. What will happen now though?

Martin
You would wonder if that's such a bad idea - a national chain of 'spare bit warehouse stores' that buy up the parts and hold them for companies/repairs. Most makers do not like to hold excess inventory so somewhere that did for 'just in time' purchases could be quite good. Of course it would need a lot of capital to set up but has merit I'd think. After all it's service where the local retailer will win out over online/overseas and if you could get the parts in a couple of days/turn around repairs etc fast it would keep a lot of buyers loyal I reckon. You will of course always get those for whom price is more important than quality and service but I know I go locally if I can even if it is a few dollars more.