View Single Post
Old 5th May 2018, 12:24 pm   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Portable Murphy with attitude repaired.

Well shoot me. Of course its a Murphy.
I started to enter a thread about a nasty Ekco, changed my mind and forgot to edit. Blame it on age related lunacy. Or the hot weather, finally. Another fail in cut and paste.
Got someone's attention anyway.
Perhaps the mods would change the title for me. Please.
I've got my coat and hat.

The instability probably arises from changes over time in the wound components but as the cores are tiny and locked. I consider it prudent to leave them alone.
Murphy obviously realised that the stability of the front end was marginal hence the revision and fitting of C51 cap. The trader sheet is from 1963, 4 years after the launch in 1959 so the change must have occurred sometime before 1963.
I will have a look at the Murphy works sheet and see if the change is noted there too.

I never thought about the case shrinking, its more likely than the set expanding. Same result, I'll leave it off I think.
If Paul remembers these from the late '60s they must of been in production for a long time. The later ones have the Mullard range of transistors.
They must be one of the last radios constructed on a chassis and tag boards, pcb construction was well advanced in the '60s.