View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 11:45 am   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Porsche Jazz Desk Lamp (Star Trek VI)

Really appreciate the feedback and comments. Encourages me to consider further write-ups in the future (which may or may not be beneficial). I hope you will forgive me if I respond with a few thoughts in defence of my new 'friend'.

1. Low level LED array or strip lighting is a great way to illuminate a workbench but I find a more concentrated and localised light very helpful for intricate work and peering into the depths of complex equipment like the Tek 465B.

2. The footprint of the base is about 5" x 7" which is much the same as a typical soldering station with integral iron stand and sponge tray.

3. Using an oscilloscope analogy, the lamp head is easy to move in both y and z planes. It is only the third, x axis, that requires the base to be moved.

4. I have long since banished all flying liquids from work areas as coffee inside a live mains valve radio or oscilloscope is no fun at all.

5. The lamp is indeed fragile in some respects and I wouldn't recommend its use by young children or Klingons (not sure which are more desructive).

I might try a dimmable LED in place of the halogen bulb as this would reduce heat generation aswell as running costs. It may prove possible to cover the ventilation holes internally as the triac wouldn't get as hot either. I've no experience of dimmable LEDs and would welcome any input on pros and cons.

By the way the Jazz makes a great desk lamp too!

Alan