View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2012, 9:21 pm   #46
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Ekco A22 in walnut brown/bronze c.1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parry View Post
This is good work on a fine old radio.
Thanks for that Chris, I'm very appreciative of your comment.

Quote:
I am very pleased that you show all the new components for what they truly are. I utterly deplore the modern nonsense of hiding new components inside the old. How much better to show good work done with pride, in a way that does not try to deceive those who come after us.
Well, in this case I couldn't proceed any other way. Most of the original capacitors had been removed before I purchased the set and the black paint had caught most of the resistors so they needed replacing.

I must admit to having no real opinion about whether it is correct or not to hide modern components inside old. I suppose the rarity/value of the set in question decides whether it warrants the extra time and effort to carry out such a task. But in any case I would never try to deceive, as you put it, by doing such a thing.

When it comes to large electrolytic cans though, I either restuff the originals or electrically disconnect and mount new components beneath. I think its important to at least preserve the appearance of a chassis when viewed with the back cover removed. What goes on underneath, out of sight, is far less important I believe.

Many thanks again for your comments.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk