View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2019, 11:56 am   #3
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Re: Sobell 511W reworking the rework

Hiya Al,

Glad you enjoyed the post, I had a few head-scratching moments, thankfully I took 'before' photos which have proven useful on many occasions/repairs.

I didn't post too much about the cabinet, which was given a gentle clean. Some of the lacquer (shellac?) has 'crazed' but given my lack of experience (the square root of zero) in wooden cabinet restoration, a going over with a slightly moistened cloth, given a dry and then a going over with wax has brought it up a treat, I think the cabinet has aged well and I fear any trials of restoration by me would otherwise ruin a nice looking set, plus the original logo is near-mint, and I would hate to damage that too.

The set does have a wonderful tone, and of all my sets with Shortwave, the Sobell is by far the most responsive, which has impressed a few family members.

I don’t know much about the brand Sobell, I have read-up about them on Graces Guide et al, I believe they started out selling sets via GUS Catalogues(?) You don’t see too many Sobells around, not sure they were produced in high volumes(?), they were certainly priced about right, back in the day, not budget yet not premium.

Quite a large set for me, being used to DAC-series Bush sets, and the occasional VHF-series Bush.

All in all, it’s great addition to the collection.

Mark