View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2019, 10:20 pm   #144
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Trio 9R-59D receiver problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humptydumpty View Post
I wont be able to fit them in a can either .
Trev - You don't want to be fitting them inside the can!

You don't want to attempt re-stuffing an electrolytic capacitor can unless you're very experienced.

I don't believe in re-stuffing that sort of capacitor anyway. Many do and make a fantastic looking job, but the sets that get restored in this way often don't get the 24/7 use like they may have done when in their earlier years. Electrolytic capacitors have a temperature rating printed on them and rely on the natural air surrounding the case for cooling, particularly when a bit of ripple current is involved - they were never designed to be wrapped in cardboard and shoved inside another metal can. In years to come, how will anyone know whether there's a problem with the capacitor if it's hidden inside another can? None of us have lived (or probably will live) long enough to know how these encased electrolytics will react after a few decades. I'm not saying that I would never re-stuff, but for a set in regular use I prefer a good, honest historical repair, with capacitors replaced under the chassis. If the set's going to be a museum piece getting occasional use, then re-stuffing is good. However, there's already been documented cases where someone has started to clip out capacitors for replacement, only to find that there's already replacements inside the old capacitor cases, so just causes confusion for the future. It's a subject that folks will argue over till the cows come home, so it's entirely up to the individual how they go about a repair/restoration in this way, but something to think about.

You've now got a small stock of three useful capacitors for testing/substitution. There's no reason why you can't fit all three of those capacitors under the chassis with a bit of thought and manipulation. If you take time out to look further on the Cricklewood site, you'll see that they do a two in one can capacitor similar to your existing one, I think it's 50+50@500 volts), go and check it out! You could fit one like that in place of the two smoothing sections, just using one of the single ones you've already bought to replace the reservoir section, as they have a good ripple rating for this purpose.

Lastly, looking at one of your last pictures, I gather that it's the output transformer that I can see that you've now mounted beneath the chassis. Have you checked that there's no AC wiring running behind it that may be inducing hum? Where does the brown live wire from that replacement mains lead run? What about AC valve heater wiring? Is it located very close to that transformer? It's quite likely that it isn't inducing any hum, but you need to think about this sort of thing and find out! Unbolt the transformer and move it out of the way and see what happens, turn it at an angle while listening, but be very careful to avoid electric shock while working on it live!