View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2018, 11:05 am   #585
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: 405-Line VHF Aerials 2013 to the present day.

Winston_1,

A fine collection you have snapped there!

Firstly, Croydon indeed predated Membury, although as G6Tanuki says, viewing preferences may account for the number of B9 Vert aerials you saw.

I think that the BI dipole in the first picture is a J-Beam (it has a distinctive junction box cap.) The Band III aerials in the second and third photos is a J-Beam slot design. Not sure about the Band I aerials in those 'photos.

The combined BI/BIII aerial in the fourth looks suspiciously like a Labgear. The nature of the bent band I dipole is not due to matching, rather it was intended for situations where the Band III and the Band I signals were from different directions. What you see there is I think is an incorrectly chosen aerial, put-together to fit the circumstances. Really, the Band I dipole elements in this design should form an 'S' shape to approximate being at right angles to the Band I signals, whilst the Band III elements were pointing straight at the Band III transmitter. I speculate that the rigger only had the 'bent' type in the back of the van and used them where a straight Band I dipole would have been more appropriate (a version which which Labgear also sold).

There are /were quite a few examples of this in the Cambridge area (home of Labgear) where the TV channels were B2 for the local BBC relay and B6 for ITA from the then newly opened Sandy Heath transmitter. So since Oxford and Cambridge used the same BI channel there was a certain logic to seeing those designs in the Oxford area as well (same production run, etc).

Last edited by SteveCG; 7th Sep 2018 at 11:11 am. Reason: Clarification
SteveCG is offline   Reply With Quote