View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2013, 5:18 pm   #902
adriaanhendrik
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester.

Hello to all,

I have finally started to build my version of the Sussex.
Since my last post I have been abroad, so I could not start earlier.
As you can see, I have a lot of wiring still to do, so I am happy with all your remarks about the problems each of you encountered with the build..
It sure helps me to avoid mistakes.

No doubt about the Frontpanel. I had that one made by Scheaffer. As you can see I made a mistake with the voltages near the switches. I have to figure out how to redo the 120 V position. Maybe painting black the 5 and use a white 'rubbing-off' digit 0.. Any idea's?

While building the PB, I could not resist to test the -47 V. Using a small chinese Oscilloscope and the panel meter. I have a nice waveform (with a little hum, but that aside.)

The switches are army surplus from The Sovjet Union that i obtained from a guy in Romania. They are very, very sturdy.. I even had to loosen one of the springs that hold the ball, to make it click, with the relatively small knobs that I use. (I had to repeat that 12 times..

The relatively small cooling-blocks are attached to the underlying metal grid-plate, that houses all the trannies and boards, so I do not expect overheating of the BUZ80's.

When i have progressed a little more I'll give an update on my adventures...

Happy hollidays...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2624.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	82140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2625.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	82141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2626.jpg