View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2019, 5:52 pm   #1
magicmax27
Retired Dormant Member

Default RAP 646 restored

Hi all. I have just finished restoring a nice Rap 646. This is the 6 valve version. I just wanted to show it to you guys and see what you think, it does still need a bit of work here and there to get it perfect and the chrome chassis could do with going over again but theres are things ill do in time. I have replaced all the components underneath minus a couple of pf caps in the IF stages and replaced a valve 6Q7G as some one had used the wrong one and now she works great. The paint on the glass dial was flaking away so with some soapy cold water and a sponge it wiped off slowly. I replaced it with a white peace of A4 paper cut to shape and smoothed on with some water to wet it slightly then again with a think layer of PVA glue. It was a test to see if it would work so it would be easy to remove if need be. The cabinet was sanded to remove the old finish and then wiped over with a damp yellow duster. It have received its first coat of linseed oil with amazing effects. Im not going lacquer it, just treat it occasionally with linseed oil. All bulbs are new and it was realigned on my very messy bench.
The speaker mesh cloth is original and washed by hand in soapy water. There is a small hole but it can be replaced anytime.
I got this radio from ebay for £11.50 two years ago and its been sat in the garage till about 2 weeks ago. I love the shape and style and the design of the circuit is so simple that works fantastic with a good sound.
I believe the radio is 1946, British but built in Jersey and was a rental set, o only know this due to reading about it elsewhere.
Its my first full restoration to include the cabinet and very luck to find a complete set.
This ones a keeper. The change from antique dust smell to a nice wood linseed is almost like its new again... almost lol.
Its a great feeling to see something like this from an era that was so difficult for so many to be brought back to life so we can hear the sound they had back then.
Iv added 2 photos 😊😀 the rear shot was before it was finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-44-48.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	191058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-09-29-17-45-28.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	191059