View Single Post
Old 29th May 2019, 11:21 pm   #2
Colinaps
Pentode

Default Re: Racal RA17 Noisy Film Dial

Quote:
My RA17 works well but the KHz Film dial is quite noisy (best discribed as crackling noise) as it rotates around both spigots .
Sprockets? Has it been damp? Maybe a tiny dose of some sort of silicone polish like ArmorAll on the sprockets would help but please don't blame me if your filmstrip dissolves!

Quote:
Also its starting to hum a bit!!
Assuming you don't mean it contains a decomposing mouse dynasty , it's probably drawing lots of HT current due to leaky decoupling capacitors. If they're really bad there will be wax puddles underneath them and they will have gone from their original silver, through various shades of yellow and brown, ultimately to black and wrinkly.
A stock of mylar, aka PETP, 0.1uF, 150V or better and 0.01uF at 300V or better is a must for keeping an RA17 healthy. You'll be able to get both with 400V rating in a smaller package than the original. The nice yellow Vishay ones are good - I bought a stock of Russian military "surplus" PETP caps a few years back but the prices have gone up a bit since.

It may also be the big electrolytic in the PSU but I haven't had any trouble with them over 20-odd sets. Another possibility one half of the rectifier starting to fail but the wax/paper caps are more likely.

Colin.