View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 12:26 pm   #27
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: What is a CSN60?

A few thoughts, which may or may not be useful:

This is beginning to look like the insides of a PC power supply. The two 220uF electrolytics are in series across the rectified mains, which is a common arrangement: it means that adding one wire link turns the bridge rectifier and two capacitors into a voltage doubler and the whole thing will then run from 110-120V.

Judging by what I can see of the secondary rectifier arrangements (the two diodes followed by an inductor and capacitor), plus the snubber across transformer primary, this may be a forward-mode converter rather than the flyback topology that most low-power consumer electronics use. That's what makes it similar to a PC power supply. If this is the case, then T6 and T7 may be in series across the supply forming a half-bridge, with the primary of the main transformer between them and the midpoint of the two 220uF electrolytics. Somehow the TL494 has to drive the top and bottom of the half bridge.

Of the transformers, the bigger one (marked 'hanny 198') is likely to be the main one, and the smaller one next to it may be used for current sensing or base/gate drive of the main switching transistors, so its primary may be in an odd-looking place.

Where's C16 on the PCB? I can't seem anything on there that looks big enough to be a 2uF 250V capacitor.

There may also be two separate power supplies on this board, again like an ATX PC power supply, one being a small one delivering just standby power. That would explain the three transformers. The standby one may be a cheapo self-oscillating one-transistor affair. Perhaps that's what the CSN60 is doing?

Here's an example of a 200W ATX power supply which might bear some similarities to yours. Note the three transformers, one used for current sensing (I think) and base drive. From memory, I recall that some designs also rely on the base drive transformer to self-oscillate and start the whole thing up.

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/en_atxps.html

Last time I repaired one of these it was the standby supply that had failed. Its output smoothing electrolytic had dried up and caused the primary side switching transistor to fail. Replacing the transistor and electrolytic brought it, and the whole PC, back to life.

Chris