View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2010, 10:49 pm   #99
triumph
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Favourite Colour tv's

My first set was a Philips G6. I bought it out of the local evening paper for £34 in 1975. It had a LOPT fault and decoder fault.

I bought the transformer from the then local Philips depot and a scrap decoder from an advert' in "Television". After a few tweaks removing the system switching etc I thought the picture was brilliant. I kept the set for a few years and then parted with it. Big mistake!

Of all the sets I have had over the years I do miss the old G6. Later on I became a Field Bench Engineer for Rediffusion and have seen a wide variety of sets; Mk1 which was quite reliable and loosely based on the Decca Bradford in the EHT dept. Then came the Mk3 with the Pil tube and thyristor output stage.

The tubes on the 22 and 26 inch sets didn't seem to last long but the 20 inch one goes on forever. Then came the Mk4, I remember going to Central Training School on a course for the Mk4 and the instructor showed us a fairly large piece of paper with the circuit diagram of power supply and EHT etc on one side and on the other the whole side was taken over to the frequency synthesis and tuning section. Today that would be in one chip!

The set had switch mode power supply and boasted 65W power consumption. I bought one of these sets in 1982 and used it for a long time before finally giving it to my mum. I fitted a regunned CRT and she had it for a few years until she passed away. It was then given to my aunt, she then bought a larger TV due to failing eyesight and the set finished up at a friend's house until about 18 months ago where I think it met its maker.

But of all the sets I've seen and serviced, the old G6 still has to be my favourite and I would love to be able to get hold of another.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 9th Nov 2010 at 11:32 pm. Reason: Made readable, please make some sort of effort with your typing.