View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2017, 11:18 am   #14
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: New hard drive for Pentium IV

If you get one with a COA sticker on it for Windows 7 professional x64 you're good for all windows versions up to and including windows 10. Most of the refurbished corporate desktops are pre-PID'ed which means that the product key is built into the hardware and it just works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Sounds like there is some decent kit second hand. Mr Bungle, does this Lenovo seem like a reasonable deal? HDD is perhaps a bit small, but for the price...
A little expensive IMHO although I'm not sure of the average pricing in your region. You should replace the hard disk on any second hand machine over 5 years old really so expect to write that off instantly. I wouldn't want to use anything without an SSD now so I happily live with a more limited 256Gb drive that is 50-80 times faster. That improves the overall performance more than any CPU upgrade in the last 10 years!

Look for an i5 CPU desktop, dual core, 4Gb of RAM minimum. Lenovo M-series, HP Elite series (8000 desktops are quite nice). You can't go wrong with them.