Thread: Bush AC34
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2018, 9:41 am   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush AC34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I've seen numerous threads on here about repro water slide transfers. My knowledge on this subject is zero but I believe it is possible to make/print your own using a good image/photo of an original as a starting point.
I do have the artwork for the Bush logo, for which I claim no credit - I think it may have been posted on the forum some time ago. Judging by my own Bush AC41, the transfer should be 1.5 inches square. I've printed off a strip of four on plain paper for now, and they look in keeping, with a good approximation to the 'gold' aspects, and don't look garishly 'new'.

If it helps anyone, I'd be happy to print them onto waterslide decal (transfer) paper and supply strips of four for £1.60 post free, or eight for £2.60. The reason I say four, is that for anyone who hasn't used them before, applying the transfers is an acquired skill and the chances are you'll probably mess up the first time, so it's always best to print several transfers. Until you become adept at applying them, as sure as anything, they'll wrinkle up and can't be straightened. The transfers will be on a strip of four, each with a white border around them, and will need to be cut right to the edges of the transfer so that no white is showing before application.

To apply the transfer, you put it in a saucer of warm water, prevent it from curling up using your fingers, then after 30 - 60 secs, gently see if it will slide between your finger and thumb. If so, leave it on the backing paper, then hold it in the position on the cabinet where you want to apply it, and slide the backing paper from beneath the transfer as you smooth it down. NEVER slide the transfer off the top of the backing paper or it will curl up. You can move it about a bit, being careful not to stretch it, then when you're happy with the position of it, smooth it down with a piece of kitchen roll to exclude air bubbles and water. Once set, after 24 hours or so they're durable and stick really well. You can if you wish apply a coat of clear acrylic varnish.

The topic of water slide transfers ('decals' as they're generally known), has been covered numerous times if anyone wishes to create their own. At post #4 at the thread below are some examples of ones that I've created, both on clear and white paper as appropriate. (The Bush ones would need to be printed ion white. You can buy decal paper for ink jet and laser printers, but I only have experience of ink jet. (The transfers when made, are waterproof, as of course they must be.

Hope that might help.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...lide+transfers

Good luck with the restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush Logo Artwork 4 in a row.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	160912