View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2018, 9:03 am   #15
Mrgroovy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Need help identifying old capacitor from 1930s radio

Interesting. Does that mean that the one 10uF electrolytic capacitor (the brown-reddish one I have swapped out with a modern type by now) was probably not there in the first place? And if so, were there really no electrolytic capacitors originally installed in this radio?

I'm also having a hard time finding replacement capacitors for this radio. Non-electrolytic 4uF 1500V+ capacitors aren't really common values these days. The ones I have found that come closest in value are way to expensive to justify spending on a radio, in my opinion at least.

I found some high voltage film caps (1600v) on justradios.com which can probably work on most but the largest caps. The largest caps being the 1uF, 2uF, and 4UF/1500V) and smallest caps being the 0.22nF to 0.55nF/1500V. I figured that 200CM which is the smallest value capacitor I found in this radio equals 220pf=0.22nF. Please correct me if I'm wrong. You can see one of these small black capacitors in one of the pictures above. Is that what is called a molded paper capacitor? As I said, they are high voltage 1500V~ with capacitance values in CM and manufactured by ERO. Was unable to find any info on them on the web.