View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 1:56 pm   #153
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default My old Black & Decker 'Super Spotliter' F950

About this old (1980s vintage) 'torch-with-fluorescent-tube' that I've owned since new.

A while back, the fluorescent lamp failed, and I got it working again by re-soldering a broken connection on the HT inverter transformer, but over time the original 3.6 volt NiCad battery went the way of most things, so the torch sat unused until recently when I salvaged some Lithium rechargeable batteries from a broken vacuum cleaner. A single Lithium cell (about 3.7 volts nominal) was a good match and I now have a working torch again. It's one of the brightest and best-focused torches I have.

Now, the query. I can find absolutely no reference to this model anywhere on the internet, despite extensive searching. It's as if it never existed, yet it clearly does, as the photo proves. Perhaps it had a short-lived production run? Certainly the term 'Spotliter' brings up other B&D torches, but of completely different types. I also know for certain that another similar model was once available which had no fluorescent tube, just a plain handle, as I once met someone using one on a night hike in about 1990.

Does anyone on this Forum recognise it, or have one of their own?

The other oddity is the mini fluorescent tube itself. It's only about 5" long, has no markings, and the user instructions describe it as Black & Decker part number HA5821. I bought and fitted a replacement many years ago, but can't recall where I found it.

All suggestions welcome!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black & Decker SpotLiter F950.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	173867  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Station X; 4th Dec 2018 at 4:42 pm. Reason: Threads merged.