View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2006, 11:19 pm   #146
Jimbo
Pentode

Question Re: AVO Multimeter survey

I found a Model 40 Avo at a boot fair and brought it home [for the princely sum of a quid] because it seemed an undignified end for it to be laying in the mud!

Serial number is 408952 - 1045 and the bottom left hand end of the scale plate also has the lettering 'AVM 314'. The case is complete if rather dirty and the white lettering in the engraved switch-knobs has all but disappeared.

Someone had soldered in a 'C' cell for the lo-ohms range but it is absolutely flat and the twin 4.5v hi-ohms batteries are missing. So far all I have managed to prove to be working are the DC volts ranges up to 1.2v, but there's no sign of life above that.

I've followed up some of pmmunro's and SPCh's threads on the subject of Avos but there doesn't seem to be as much noted about the Model 40 as some of the others.

Are these models worthwhile resurrecting, and if so can you point me in the direction of a good source of repair information?

Alternatively if someone is looking for a 'donor' set to cannibalise for parts I'd be happy to pass it on to a good home.

I'd be interested to learn the reason for the Voltage and Current ranges having top values as multiples of 12 rather than the normal 10 and would be grateful if someone could clarify that particular bit of history.

Thank you

Jim
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote