View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2018, 12:35 am   #6
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Re: SCART problem with Ferguson TV set

Hello Marcus,

I don't remember these sets, but would the DIN socket be expecting TTL level, 0-5V RGB signals? I think that's what these home computers sent out.

Are you saying this set has both DIN and SCART connectors?

A SCART socket is expecting much smaller 0-700mV RGB signals, so maybe the old computers are over-driving things. If only the Spectrum had this red tint, I'd suggest a small fault in the Red channel on the Spectrum was appearing as a big red signal to the more sensitive SCART input stages. However, you say the Red tint is on all SCART pictures, which would suggest a minor TV fault, sadly.

If you still get 'snow' on the screen if you select the video channel, then maybe that button is just designed to give a more stable picture from a VCR wired with an RF lead into the aerial socket.

If the screen goes black when you select the video channel, maybe the set is expecting composite video on SCART pin 20. This would be on the yellow socket if you've bought a SCART to phono/RCA/Cinch adapter.

Other people here may have worked on these sets back in the day and have a better idea than me.

Good luck.