View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 9:13 am   #18
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Bush SRG86 Asbestos?

Thanks for all the comments. As I said the chassis was blown clear in the garden with my workshop vacuum in reverse mode. I did carefully mop the inside of the cab with a damp cloth, but only briefly. Now I know it could be more dangerous I’ll be more cautious

I think what I will do is simply seal the inside of the cab where the chassis sits, ie paint it all in pva so any residual stuff will stay put. Also the back panel

The asbestos board I will also paint up with PVA, I may also cover it with another heat shield matierial (solder mat) by gluing it to the cabinet

I did consider vacuuming it with my workshop vacuum by placing the unit outside the window, running the suction hose inside (that way anything chucked back out the vacuum is outside), but I feel that’s too risky and will ruin my workshop vacuum.

One factor that does come to mind is the baise matierial underneath the chassis compartment (record storage) as there are vent slots there. But given the chassis blocks the way normally, and I did cover the board in plastic after removing the chassis, it’s unlikely any got down there. All the same I do plan to recover this as it’s badly damaged anyway.

Unfortunately no option is going to be perfect now, like my handling up to now. Friends have told me to chuck the whole cabinet away. But then moving it out the house and driving it to a tip carries its own risks, and I’ve already transported it once when I originally bought it!

On the plus side, the smoothing cap reformed perfectly and it’s working very well (on the bench) after just changing the dc blocking caps for the output stage. Full of black and grey hunts though!