View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2021, 10:36 am   #25
nzoomed
Pentode

Default Re: Winding a new output transformer for a Philips B5G64A Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
You can very easily make a new bobbin!!. That's not a hard part, a piece of red or black fibre like is used on car gaskets is cheap and plentiful. It's available in many thicknesses. If you manage to find some, before you cut it up, post your findings here and I am sure there will be many willing to show you the way.

For your little transformer I think something about .5mm to .75 mm thick will work fine. DONT use too thick a bobbin or you will run out of winding space, otherwise known as window. You will need some sort of winding machine, but an old fashioned "egg beater" hand drill served me well for years before I could afford a winding machine. You need to know EXACTLY the gear ratio of the drilling machine, that way you just count the handle turns, NOT the chuck revolutions.

The same fibre can be used for side cheeks for your first attempt at winding because it's the devils own work to wind a transformer without side cheeks. It also guarantees a very neat and most likely very good transformer for your first effort.

Joe
Well I have ended up looking at that option as it turns out.
I was going to make a simple cardboard bobbin like it originally had, but its hard to wind without side cheeks, but remembered ive just been given a 3D printer so just decided to draw something up and 3D print it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	236476