View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2021, 8:03 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default What radios are you currently using?

I believe in actually _using_ my radio collection rather than treating them as museum-shelf-queens to be worshipped-from-behind-glass-cases but never actually listened-to.

Right now I have:

In the Living-Room: a Roberts R24 AM/FM [working off mains].

In the Bathroom: a Roberts R760 running off a bunch of NiMH cells.

In the Dining-Room: a Roberts R606 powered from a homebrew power-supply using a cheap-and-cheerful but sensible Velleman regulator-strip featuring a LM317.

In the Summer-House: a Roberts R707 powered by a 12V 4.1AH SLA battery - to get the most out of a R707's audio-stages you really need a power-supply that doesn't wilt when it has to deliver a bit of current.

These are all receiving content from a 'pantry transmitter' hooked to a Lenovo laptop - with the source being a bunch of J-Pop/K-Pop stations or the rather-good KEXP:

https://www.kexp.org/

which could be seen as 'Radio3 for the current-century'.

In the bedroom: my Eddystone 840A - "Steady Eddy" - perfect for tuning-round on shortwave at 3AM when I'm troubled by a bout of insomnia.

In the kitchen: a WWII-vintage Pye PCR - again good for listening to the various Asian stations on MW when I'm cooking-up a curry, or amusing myself with the odd religious-station ["Witness Lee" on shortwave is always fun for a giggle]

What are you listening-to, and on what ??

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 21st Jun 2021 at 8:10 pm.