Dekatron

Default Re: Department store radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955APREN View Post
B4 the Dixons/Curry's merger the names Prince sound and possible shaiso
were names used by Dixons for radio .
Spelt with a "Z" Prinz, Prinzsound, Prinztronic.
It was "Saisho" - apparently it meant 'First' in Japanese - or that's what they would lead you to believe.

I was always amused by "Spinney" as a brand used by Littlewoods. A Spinney is a little wood...

In the 70s and 80s Readers Digest sold a range of cheap-and-cheerful record-decks/amplifiers - I guess these were intended to play the 'easy listening' music compilations also sold by Readers Digest [think Mantovani, James Last, Bert Kaempfert].

They seemingly sold well in West Germany back then - but West Germany's post-WWII music-scene was deeply ingrained in "Schlagermusik" and such stuff performed by "Baron Wolfgang and his Bierfest Oompah-band".

I wonder who actually made the mechanics/electronics of the Readers Digest stuff ? My thinking is that RD would have gone for the cheapest Taiwan/Korea manufacturer they could find that month... Somewhere in the attic I've got *one* Readers Digest badged speaker - which I used hooked up to a Pye Westminster - it reproduced 2-Metre amateur-band communications rather well!