View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2019, 12:05 am   #26
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Getting rid of damp?

This is what I mean about the strange aspect to your careful enquiries 1970 You say you are unable to dry out the cabinet and the mould increases. Put it in the window on the south couch and sit on the floor!

Personally, I would use a dry cloth with a little bleach [or more likely white spirit] to kill the new growth and find somewhere in the bushes to dry the case out. It's unlikely to be stolen after all
You must have access to some public space [unless you are trapped in your flat]. I've been doing some rather similar rescue work with record player plinth boards cut out for the decks recently. I used woodworm fluid instead of spirit as I had that problem to deal with as well. It's possible that you are overthinking this situation. Damp, dry rot and woodworm CAN all be a desperate problem but rarely are. Whether you are a mould or a human you wont survive oil based fumes for long! The sunlight is a bonus. If you can't part with the set, you could get an old style rough service incandescent light bulb and hang it in the case as a heat source. I've never tried that myself though.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 4th Aug 2019 at 12:12 am.