View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 2:29 pm   #123
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyntonP View Post
Are things taken to the buffing wheel off camera?
Lynton
Absolutely not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4XWDJim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Ammoniated clock cleaning fluid. Look up “Horolene” or the cheaper but excellent one that I use, “Priory Polishes No 1 Concentrated Cleaning Fluid”. These water-based fluids contain ammonia and oleic acid which removes tarnish and brightens brass with minimal polishing.
Thanks for that answer Phil - I was about to ask the same question. I have a Westminster chime clock which I stripped down about 30 years ago and could do with doing again. I used petrol last time and although clean it wasn't shiny.
I sometimes use petrol if outside - IPA is quite good for that as well. If the plates and wheels are lacquered, which they probably are, Horolene will sometimes damage the lacquer.
Quote:
I didn't strip the springs out of their barrels either to clean and lubricate them which is probably why I need to do it again. I found the original drawings I made and this time I have a digital camera so it should be easier.
The first things that need cleaning are the springs. Keep a look of the holes in their ends as well, as they can be starting to split.