Thread: Dansette Prince
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2021, 5:08 pm   #73
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Dansette Prince

Gary

The photo of the underneath of the turntable/record deck says a thousand words.

They are:

1. The amplifier is only switched on when the turntable is set to playing a record. You can quite clearly see the switch which is connected to the red wires to the turntable motor. The yellow wires are the low voltage

You can confirm this by looking at the motor and seeing when the rotor spins. If it is all the time, after the record player is turned on, then I'm wrong. If it only spins when a record is played, then I am right. As an aside this means that the tape socket is really only tape out but perhaps in the wisdom of RBM Marketing, the punter wouldn't have a clue if having the turntable running to play back a tape was not exactly good engineering practice, but I digress.

2. The thin pick up leads are just perfect. The screen cables coming from them are to the industry norm.

What you didn't say from the start was the intermittent volume control. Now this doesn't matter too much as when you shorted the wires the hum went away.

As you have confirmed, the loudness of hum didn't change when you disconnected the thin wires, this by using the process of elimination means that the hum MUST be induced BEFORE them. N'cest pas?

You say that the hum was less after you re-soldered the stereo out socket.

One thing I missed was the earth wire from the turntable, coloured green. Just make sure that, as with the terminal strip, the screw is making a good connection.

Keep the mains, red and low voltage yellow "dressed" away from the input to the amplifier and "Report back."

Over and out

Chris