Thread: Radio Caroline
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:51 pm   #4
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Radio Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
I've just been reading (or re-reading) part of that book, but found it a bit heavy going. My understanding was the Ronan O'Rahilly founded Radio Caroline because in the early 60's he managed Georgie Fame, and couldn't get Fame's recording(s) played on either The Light Program or Luxembourg, in the latter case because the majority of shows on 208 were sponsored by the big 4 record companies. From memory, the gist of the story about R.Caroline & R. Atlanta as told in the book is, AFAIK, basically true, though after nearly 54 years I don't pretend to recall all the details, and no longer have any original books or press cuttings to consult.
You have just cited the main mythology. Ronan O'Rahilly was a paid 'decoy duck' for PYE who put Radio Caroline together in conjunction with CIA interests in the USA. Ronan O'Rahilly did not manage Georgie Fame. I have an initial video you might be interested in watching at http://yesterdayneverhappened.com

A book, the first in a series about offshore radio is under preparation with the title Bobby, Caroline and Jack. The 'Caroline Kennedy name myth' was not created until March 1965 in order to fool Robert F. Kennedy into making a speech about Irish independence on St Patrick's Day. I have a recording and details will be in the book.

The name was in use as early as 1961 to describe readers of Queen magazine, and that is where the name originally came from because Radio Caroline was initially represented by the magazine's publisher Jocelyn Stevens. Ironically this was reported at the time Radio Caroline began in 1964 within the Economist.