View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2017, 6:11 pm   #116
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Design-and-building a large valve Tesla coil (class C, Armstrong oscillator).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
...congratulations! In telescope building circles we call this "First Light".
Thank you, Ken! It's a small but significant first step in the right direction. I've uploaded another photo, this one after-dark. The plasma is a beautiful indigo colour. One thing, even at this tiny wattage from the modulator alone, it produces tons of O3.

It's quite a feat of efficiency, pretty much the same output as a line-output transformer in a vintage black and white TV, but from just 25 volts supply.

Quote:
I'm following this thread avidly, with no hope of recreating it(unless you plan to market it in kit form!).
That would be *interesting*! It would be possible to do the modulator in kit form. And with a beefier MOSFET, even just the modulator could produce 100W of output. But far too early days to consider this...

Quote:
I look forward to the day when your workshop looks a little like this!
Ahaha! Perhaps it does already! Actually, my 'workshop' is two places - a little picnic table on the balcony, where I do all cutting, sanding and brazing heavy joins. And pictured is just my dining room table. So usually, the whole lot has to go back into drawers at the end of the session... it's one of the most challenging things with any project, takes a lot of patience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44F7EE5C-293A-47DE-8D6D-569C5C0A68D7 (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	152304