View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2019, 1:30 am   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Monkhouse Film and Video Archive

That must be at least the 10th or 12th time I've watched the Monkhouse Documentary. There is so much content in there related to archiving that it should be a "Sticky". I said recently that sticky's should be preserved "and why not" as Frank Carson, a now forgotten Irish comedian said- I think!

It's important to know whether the voltage or negative bias is correct etc and to preserve originality, plus the beauty of some designs but Bob's, very early, SW forays into American Radio demonstrate that look of the set is irrelevant to the information transfer. In the 1960's I had advance access to the American Top Ten due to a New York City broadcast I was able to pick up via SW on Saturday mornings.

Despite me saying [on the Magnetic Turntable thread] that I'm not obsessed with the "underdog" this thread is another one-and why not? I've spent all day sorting and storing recordings/newspapers etc and constantly rush out to record things myself like Monkhouse. It's either Anxiety, Psychos, or a desire to keep ourselves alive [probably that one] but Androids don't share these concerns [yet]. A Robot with a hobby? Now that would be new! They would just download.

Collecting is not the same as Hoarding!
Bootlegging is not the same as Pirating!
Discuss.

Oh yes Erratum, it was in the Psychiatrists Chair I meant not DID-a very affecting edition and the program was extremely popular at the time. For the sake of balance, I will say that Anthony Claire was persuaded to be interviewed himself and [to my recollection] revealed very little.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Jan 2019 at 1:57 am.