View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2019, 11:00 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Monkhouse Film and Video Archive

"The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse" A BBC4 Documentary which features his unique archive of Film, VRC recordings and Emphera and how it was almost lost is repeated again at 10-30pm tonight. A "must see" in my opinion and a salutary warning as to how things can go wrong even with foresight!

What you collect needs expertise to keep it safe. The Lenny Henry story is amazing. The performing rights prosecution is shameful [like the Golden Shot debacle]. They go after a man with an entirely private collection and who used clips from it in his BBC Radio 2 programs without any problems
It very much could have finished off an otherwise quite damaged and fragile individual [despite his comedic presentation]. Listen to him bearing his soul on Desert Island Discs if you doubt this. Who set him up and why?

I've often wondered if there was a connection with the theft of his highly prized hand-written joke books built up over decades, [which were returned in the end!].

"They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian......

Well they're NOT laughing NOW!" BM

Yes I would have liked more on the Archive but it's still pretty good [or bad in terms of what happened to him]. Stick with it!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th Jan 2019 at 11:09 pm.