View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2017, 7:13 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Kenwood Chef food mixer safety observation

As title. Our mixer is a little over 40 years old. I think it is either an A701, or A701A. It is white and dark blue. Used possibly once a month these days. About 10 years ago, the capacitor burnt out, so I replaced just that part, all was fine. Switching on last week, the whole thing made a lot of noise and the speed knob was seen to be moving around violently. Machine was switched off immediately.
It was soon apparent the motor had come adrift from it's rubber mountings. Available on ebay, over £8 for the four. I was convinced I had something similar....somewhere. I even placed a "wanted" post!
Today, I found what it was I was thinking of. A set of strong, new, rubber mountings as used for domestic refrigeration sealed unit compressors. All I needed to do was reduce one side thickness slightly by cutting some rubber away with small sidecutters. Other than this, the dimensions were just right. I fitted them and ran the motor up and all was fine. Sorted!
However, the result of this new thread concerns electrical safety. The machine frame is all metal, but mains flex is 2 core, without earth. The electrical insulation safety integrity is provided by the rubber bushes insulating the motor electrically from the whole frame. My original bushes had perished and disintegrated, allowing the motor frame to move around within the non-existant insulation bush and most likely touch the metal fixing screw that was connected to external metalwork. Not a nice thought.
What I have done is to provide an earth wire from a 4BA solder tag, attached under a motor stator screw. This will connect with tyhe earth wire of a new 3 core mains lead that I will fit. Unfortunately the mains terminal board on the mixer is only 2 screws, L & N. So, I will connect the new 2 earth wires together using a butt crimp terminal.
This will give me peace of mind, that the metal frame of the motor is earthed at all times.
No doubt, such a modification to enhance safety is a wrong act on my part, as it is a modification from original manufacture. However, at least I will feel safer!
Rob