View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2017, 8:42 am   #147
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: Why did folk always unplug the telly at night?

Many years ago some local radio hams on Topband were discussing an incident where a home owner had experienced a lightning strike on their TV aerial. The state of the TV was not mentioned.
The problem was that the co-ax cable ran under a brand new (expensive) lounge carpet, right under the middle.
The co-ax cable had exploded & cut the carpet in two. No mention of a fire, which was fortunate.

I am surprised that Pye hybrid TV design was allowed out of the works. Even back then I would have expected a switch before the incoming AC went to any panel.
Heat caused all sorts of issues with Paxolin printed circuit boards, usually with conducted heat from valve sockets frying the board into a semi-conductor. Cheap radios were also prone to PCB issues, but not necessarily ones with potentially lethal consequences. They were always switched off at night.
Early automatic washing machines were electro-mechanical. The timer block had a slowly rotating notched drum. I am sure they were regarded as untrustworthy when they first came out as well.